Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My Hero 

Today, David Fahrenthold reports in the Washington Post that Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn has blocked a resolution which would have honored the 100th birthday of Rachel Carson, author of the famous book "Silent Spring." Of course, it was this book which launched the environmental movement in 1964. But as others have pointed out, the author's attack on anything unnatural resulted in the widespread banning of DDT, which as the Senator knows has led to the death of millions of people from malaria.

I did notice a problem with the story. The on-line version contains many hyperlinks but the links only take you to subject searches on WashingtonPost.com. In fact, although the article references Senator Coburn's web site many times there is no link which takes you directly there. When I search Mr. Coburn's site I cannot find any information about this issue although Mr. Fahrenthold says that this is where he obtained his information.

Fortunately, I did learn from my research that when the Senate is in session you can meet Mr. Coburn for coffee. One of those opportunities is tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. I think I am going to go.

PermaLink | 6:22 AM | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?