Tuesday, April 04, 2006

John McWhorter 

Last evening I attended a book forum at The American Enterprise Institute to hear John McWhorter, a black conservative, talk about the future of African Americans in the United States. He did not paint a pretty picture.

Most of his lecture dealt with the controversy over whether the problems blacks face are structural or cultural. Mr. McWhorter came down on the side of culture. He spoke articulately for an hour with only a few notes. The forum was recorded by C-Span so you can see me sitting in the front row. I also asked a question at the end.

But the most exciting part of this event to me was that I had the opportunity to meet U.S. Supreme Court Judge Clarence Thomas! He, Walter Williams and I stood around joking before the conference. It was tremendous fun.

PermaLink | 6:35 AM | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?