Sunday, March 13, 2005

Is It Libertarian To Be Pro-Choice On Abortion? 

Mike Allen of the Washington Post quotes Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on her views on abortion:

"If you go back to 2000 when I helped the president in the campaign," she said,
"I said that I was, in effect, kind of libertarian on this issue. And meaning by
that, that I have been concerned about a government role in this issue. I am a
strong proponent of parental choice -- of parental notification. I am a strong
proponent of a ban on late-term abortion. These are all things that I think
unite people and I think that that's where we should be. I've called myself at
times mildly pro-choice."

As loyal readers know I am a libertarian but I am not pro-choice. A contradiction? You will not find one in this space.

Our U.S. Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights were adopted to protected individual rights. Among those unalienable rights are "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." I believe, as does Roger Pilon of the Cato Institute, that life begins at conception and therefore that life is constitutionally projected from that time. However, to be honest, libertarians, like America, are split on this issue. It all comes down to when you believe a person's life starts.

PermaLink | 7:24 AM | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?