Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Random Thoughts On The School Takeover 

Now that we are several months into the DCPS takeover by Mayor Fenty and Michelle Rhee I wanted to make two comments regarding the whole episode.

First, the takeover was inevitable. With such strong competition coming from the charter school movement something had to be done to try and stop the title wave of folks seeking something better for their children. If it wasn't Mr. Fenty and Miss Rhee then it would have been two others. The cautious go slow bureaucratic approach by Clifford Janey was doomed from the start.

Also, Miss Rhee has made clear that she wants to fire everyone at her North Capitol Street headquarters. I second that and would rather they all end up in jail for what they have done to the future of my city. However, I don't have a clue as to what DCPS should look like. My preference, of course, is to turn all traditional schools into charters and if you do that you don't need much of a central office. I would rather she start from a vision of what she is trying to establish and let all personnel decisions flow from there.

PermaLink | 5:48 AM | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?