Thursday, March 03, 2005
From today's Washington Post:
Vouchers to Go to Public School Students
The president and chief executive of the Washington Scholarship Fund, the organization that runs the D.C. school voucher program, said the fund expects that new vouchers awarded this year will go only to students who otherwise would have attended public school.
Fund President Sally Sachar made the statement in a letter to Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) that was released by Feinstein's office this week. The senator, a key supporter of the legislation establishing the federally funded private-school scholarships, had complained that more than 200 of last year's 1,000 voucher recipients were already attending private schools.
Sachar has said that her organization did not have enough time last spring to recruit voucher applicants from public schools. "We are seeing a great amount of interestfrom public school families" this year, Sachar said yesterday. "We will not move to private-school applicants."
Sachar said the deadline for voucher applicants is March 11 for junior and senior high students and March 22 for elementary school applicants.