Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Paige Calls NEA a 'Terrorist' Group 

While I've explained that I am not in favor of the No Child Left Behind Act, I respect our U.S. Secretary of Education. Yesterday, he got himself in a lot of hot water by calling the largest teachers union a terrorist group. He later apologized.

One great thrill of my life occurred last May when I attended the Secretary's visit to the Cesar Chavez Public Charter High School for Public Policy. The school, with my assistance, was participating in C-Span's students and leaders series, in which prominent public officials visited 40 local high schools in 20 days to discuss their profession and answer questions from pupils. After Ron Paige spoke for a short time the first question was from a student who asked "What does it mean to you to be the first black Secretary of Education?" Without hesitating the Secretary stated that "Race was immaterial" and that we had reached the point in society where an individual's value was based on their character. You can watch the segment yourself.

PermaLink | 3:28 AM | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?