Sunday, February 29, 2004

Virginia Taxes 

I solved the problem with Virginia's revenue shortfall. Below is my suggestion contained in a letter to the editor to our local newspaper:

February 28, 2004

Letter to the Editor
The Reston Times

Dear Sir:

I know I haven�t written for awhile. This year, I thought I would get paid for my valuable advice and so I�m waiting by the telephone for the either of the national parties to call. It has been very quiet at my house.

But if I was called here is what I would offer the Virginia Republicans as a way to alleviate themselves from the fine mess over revenue that the Governor has put them in. Look, I�d say, remember that this state led the original thirteen colonies in developing a political philosophy that the world had never seen before. It was our ex-governor who penned the Declaration of Independence. Well, we find ourselves in tough times now, and so in keeping with tradition we need to think bold.

Mark Warner proposes to increase the sales-tax. Fine. Let�s develop a proposal which increases it sufficiently so that we no longer need a state income tax. We would model it in such a way that the poor would not be charged disproportionately and in a manner that allows these politicians to keep their promise to finally rid us of the car tax.

Could you just image it! No more submitting all that personal information to bureaucrats in Richmond. No more paperwork.

We could be an example for the rest of the nation in the development of a national sales-tax. So long IRS.

Of course, if you like the way things are going, don�t take my advice.

Sincerely,


Mark S. Lerner

PermaLink | 10:35 AM | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?