Tuesday, July 19, 2005

John Roberts 

Its too early for me to say much of anything about this nominee. What has stuck me tonight about all the news stories is the repeated reference to his being the first Supreme Court Nominee in 11 years. Well during one nomination of a Supreme Court Justice, that of Clarence Thomas, I was up at Dartmouth College participating in a Cato Institute summer seminar. Everyone from The Cato Institute was excited about the choice. They already had an association with him.

It cost me $800 to participate in this seminar, which at that time was to my wife and I a fortune. Attending even meant missing my younger daughter's July 4th birthday. But I was determined to go, arguing that this was my only opportunity to do something like this. Well, for once my prediction came true. After that year Cato stopped holding the summer seminar. Only a few years ago did they start offering something like it again.

I had a fantastic time. I met many of the leaders of the libertarian movement, including Fred Smith who I would work for many years later. It convinced me that my political views were on the right track. As students we would attend lectures during the day and then discuss what we had learned all through the night. Fantastic.

PermaLink | 9:35 PM | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?