Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Too Much Information, One Important Event 

I've never see a day with so much interesting news. I wrote a post on MOMA, on the Hopper exhibit in London, and on vouchers. I would love to comment on Anne Applebaum's column today (you can check it on my new link to her site), on the bill before Congress to eliminate bans on gun ownership, on baseball in D.C., and on the Supreme Court agreeing to hear a case on eminent domain.

But tonight I'll write on the most significant event of the day. I just returned home from the first-ever back-to-school night at the William E. Doar Jr. Public Charter School for the Performing Arts. A tremendous evening. I think every parent showed up with their kids in tow. I sat in as two second grade teachers explained the math and reading programs. If these kids do not learn after the efforts exerted by these educators then students cannot learn. Phonics instruction is central to the reading curriculum. Everyday math is a proven program to teach kids to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Both teachers, although young, have years of experience and are in the process of getting their masters degrees. Parents asked lots of questions, yet supporting what the teachers were saying. These children have homework every night. Its going to be a productive year.

The night also pointed out the heavenly and hellish sides of the charter school movement. Heavenly, because these students will get a private school education for free. Hellish because we are currently educating our students in a warehouse with dividers for classrooms which results in the noise level being intolerable. I truly wish the charter school board would come see what they have created.

PermaLink | 9:44 PM | |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?